Toxic pet food blamed for cat’s death; Are your pets safe?
Comments 7 | Recommend 11
July 12, 2009 – 6:55 PM
A Saratoga County woman blames a pet food manufacturer for the death of her cat, and claims the store where she purchased the food failed to warn her about a voluntary recall.
Karen Beshara, of Moreau, said her one-and-a-half year-old Siamese named Simona first became sick in early July. The animal’s decreased appetite, lethargy, and swollen abdomen led to veterinary hospitalization. The night before scheduled surgery, Simona died.
“I loved spending time with her,” said Katiya Beshara, 9. “ [After she died], I’d look around and I’d look for her, but I’d forget that she’s not here.”
A few days later, Karen Beshara stopped at PetSmart to purchase more food for her surviving cats. She found the Nutro Max Cat shelf bare, with a sign notifying customers of a voluntary recall due to incorrect potassium and zinc levels.
Beshara said she believes the Nutro caused the toxicity which resulted in Simona’s death. Further, she said another of her cats — Sly — recently tested positive for a dangerously high zinc level.
Doing her own investigative work, Beshara stumbled upon ConsumerAffairs.com — an advocacy website that reports more than 900 complaints related to death or illness resulting from Nutro products. The website cites an anonymous source as claiming the Food and Drug Administration is investigating the company.
However, on Nutro’s own website, the company claims it has received no consumer complaints.